Nedstat Basic - Free web site statistics
Personal homepage website counter
Free counter Dr. Pittendreigh's Mission To Haiti 2004: I'm a doctor, not a preacher. Wait, I'm not a doctor! I'm a preacher! -- September 19

Sunday, September 19, 2004

I'm a doctor, not a preacher. Wait, I'm not a doctor! I'm a preacher! -- September 19

"Tomorrow you will be intimidated by this and you will feel very insecure," Priscilla told us. "Don't worry. Your confidence level will increase the more you do these screenings."

I'm sure I will. Feel intimidated that is. After all, I'm not a doctor, I'm a preacher.

But Priscilla is a good teacher, and she carefully instructed the non-medical members of our team about how to screen the patients. I will be taking blood pressure, pulse, respiratory rates, and temperatures (along with some other members of our team who are also doing triage).

"If the person has a temperature of 101, or if is a child and the temperature is 100, then send the person straight to one of the nurses. If the person has a blood pressure of 170 over 100, then bring them to us! Otherwise, they will just have to stand in line after seeing triage."

The highlight for most of the people today was the visit to the home of Gary's family. Gary has worked as the translator for our group on several previous trips. Gary's mother has insisted that all of her children receive an education. Gary is now in Michigan attending a university -- thanks to the work of the Good Shepherd people!

While this is my first trip to Haiti, I did have an opportunity to meet Gary once. He was visiting Good Shepherd for worship one Sunday.

The family is very grateful to Good Shepherd folks for what is being done for Gary. They invited the team to the home of Gary's family -- a one room (two room if you count the curtain as a wall) house filled with love.

The family provided the team members with soft drinks, entertained us with singing, and gave each of us gifts (a carving with the word 'Haiti' and a scarf with the Haitian flag.

You never know how far reaching the work of your congregation might be. I hope everyone has given support to the Haitian mission trips -- even if you haven't been able to come personally. The work that has been done here is fantastic!

Today is Sunday, and while Good Shepherd met together for worship, our small team gathered in one of the rooms of the guest house of the Hopital St. Croix here in Leogane, Haiti. In our worship, we sang a few hymns, with Bill J. leading the music. As we sang "Amazing Grace" the cooks in the kitchen put down their work and sang along with us.

The text for my very brief message was from Genesis 12:1-4. It is the story of Abraham, who at that time is still called Abram. God tells him, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you." At this time, Abram is already a very old man. Along with the familiar promise God makes to this man to "make him a great nation," God also says, "I will bless you... and you will be a blessing."

We have left our country, and we have the blessing of God. And having God's blessing, we will become a blessing to others.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is SO good to FINALLY hear what our mission teams do in Haiti. I have always wondered why we hear nothing about them.

How can I get an invitation to join a mission trip?

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for these reports. Look forward to reading every one of them.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise